It’s time to decorate the house with festive spirit! The following tips and suggestions from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission can help ensure you stay safe as you deck your winter halls.
- Decorate only with lights that have been safety-tested by an independent laboratory. Check wires, plugs and sockets for signs of wear or defects. Remember: when in doubt, throw them out.
- Do not overload outlets and extension cords. Never connect more than three sets of lights per extension cord.
- Be sure decorative lights used outside are approved for outdoor use.
- When decorating outdoors, be aware of all power lines. Don’t work near overhead power lines or anywhere there is a possibility of contacting an overhead power line, either directly or indirectly, with a ladder or other piece of equipment.
- Keep candles away from decorations, wrapping paper, and other flammable objects.
- Use only flame-resistant or non-combustible materials, especially when making paper decorations.