Electricity is a necessity of modern living. According to the National Fire Protection Association, approximately 51,000 electrical home fires occur annually, resulting in nearly 500 deaths, more than 1,400 injuries, and over $1.3 billion in property damage. And, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, nearly 400 people are electrocuted each year.
Extension cords should be used as a temporary fix, not as household wiring. Keep them free of knots and tangling around other objects.
Do not attempt to force plugs into wall sockets if they don’t fit. Move to an outlet that will accommodate the plug securely and correctly. If plugs won’t stay in a socket, the outlet may be damaged and should be repaired or replaced.
Use lightbulbs with wattage that complies with the lighting fixture.
Keep all electrical appliances away from water! If an appliance does fall in water, unplug it before retrieving it.
Unplug all appliances during an electrical storm to prevent damage from power surges.
Keep a distance of at least three feet between space heaters and rugs, curtains, furniture, and other flammable objects.
Always use power strips with surge suppressors on delicate equipment, such as computers and home entertainment devices.